Wednesday, August 20, 2008

To pierce or not to pierce


I have wanted to get my nose pierced for a very long time. Up til now I have been too chicken to endure the pain in order to have one. Several months ago I decided I was ready but then began questioning if I could pull off a nose piercing (you know, looks wise). These days it seems like you can do whatever you want style wise and people will get used to it so I'm thinking that will be the reaction to my new nose accessory. This morning I took a tiny silver sticker and stuck it on my nose to help me imagine what it would look like :) and was surprised at how much I liked it. I tried to take a picture to post so you could get the idea but the sticker just wouldn't show in the pic. At this point I am 95% sure that I'm going to do it. Several months ago when I first started talking about it one of my friends from work who had in her past had everything pierced said adamantly that I should not do it. Turns out everyone she has ever known who had a diamond stud nose piercing was snobby back stabbing and fake (you know the kind). Though she changed her mind since I was obviously none of those things. She just didn't want me to be perceived that way which I understood. (Four of my favorite people have nose piercings and all of them are nice, really genuine and sincere. Which is why I didn't realize people might assume some sort of snobbery about me if I had a piercing.) I then proceeded to ask everyone in my family if they would ever be able to look at me again if I got a piercing. They said: Tab- go for it she always wanted to do something like that. Melissa- would get used to it but she is totally grossed out by piercings and has been her whole life.(She's never even pierced her ears!) Mom- if Christopher likes it then that's all that matters. Christopher- he thought it would be pretty on me. (What a good husband! Couldn't have answered better if I had fed him a line myself!) Dad- was at work but Mom guessed that he wouldn't mind it. Everyone else I asked said I should do it and then after carefully inspecting my nose (awkward!) voted on which side I should put it. I have chosen the right side by the way. So now I am asking all of you in blogland what do you think? Am I too old? Can I pull it off style wise? Do you think my face can handle an accessory? Will I seem like a sorority girl wannabe? Let the voting begin!

9 comments:

arwen said...

as a vetran pierced nose... um... person... I say do it. It doesn't hurt, its pretty easy to undo, and I don't think I've seen a bad one.
go for it.
and when you're done, high five :)

Jess said...

Oh yes most definitely! It would be oh-so-perfect! And Arwen is right, it doesn't hurt at all...maybe it will make your eyes water, but other than that...nothing. And it also heals very fast...so there you go. I really don't think you can be too old to get it done, it just depends on who you are. A couple people told me I shouldn't get mine done after Jones was born because it "wasn't motherly" (whatever that means!), but I still feel very much like a mom...so...
Yes, you would totally not only pull it off, but pull it off well!

Jen said...

Definitely! Go for it. I think it will look great on you and you'd have to be a lot older to be too old. And I mean a lot!

Ryan Woods said...

Unlike R1 I have seen a bad nose piercing, it looked like a cow with that big ring in the middle...and I've heard some pretty bad stories of infection and spider babies bursting out of nose piercings. But besides that I think it's a great idea.

Tara said...

You know I am a huge proponent of nose piercings. Mine has been around for 8 yrs now and I seriously still LOVE it! I am positive that you will love it...and I will love it on you. Worst case scenario: you don't end up loving it and take it out and it won't even leave a scar. No harm done.
But it would super cute on you, especialy with your sassy new haircut...Do it.
Now the trick is finding a piercing parlor that you aren't afraid of getting an STD at.

Marta said...

I say do it! I think it would look great!

Sarah D. said...

I went into Adorn Body Art over near my house because I liked what they said on their website about it being clean and non-creepster. I scoped it out and though it is a smidge creepy and not manned by the nice lady I saw on the website I think I'll go there to get it done. Though it is hard to tell from just the lobby and personel what the actual piercing facility is like. I once went into Black Hole Body Piercing over on the east side many years ago with some friends who were getting some done. The lobby/shop and staff made me want to turn around and run right back out but the behind the sketchy curtain it was clean like a hospital. I'm hoping Adorn is like that...

Sarah D. said...

Anybody had any experience with Adorn Body Art or heard anything about them?

deirdre said...

TOTALLY do it!!! it would look so cute on you (you have an adorable nose) and while it does hurt to get pierced, the pain afterwards is negligible, esp. compared to ears which you're always banging when you pick up the phone. i had mine for a while, had to take it out for a wedding but then got it repierced right before school, and i LOVE it. even my grandparents, who hate that stuff, think it's fine, esp. now that i just have a little stud.

i've never used adorn, but i really, really like straight to the point on sw 3rd, that's where i got mine done. AWESOME!!! you have to send me a picture!!!